Hey there, friends! Happy Monday and Happy New Year! I hope that 2017 has treated you well so far. Anyone else struggling with a case of the sniffles after the busy holiday season? It seems like a lot of people are getting hit with a cold right now, so I wanted to stop by tonight to share a natural cold remedy with all of you that I originally found on Simple Green Smoothies.
This recipe for tea is easy, only uses three ingredients, and can be stored in the refrigerator for future use (it keeps for about two months in the fridge). Let's jump right into it!
Like I said, this recipe only calls for three ingredients: lemon, ginger, and honey. Lemon is high in vitamin C, which keeps our immune system strong to fight against those pesky colds. Ginger assists you in sweating out the toxins in your body, which is helpful when you have a cold. Ginger is also a real winner when it comes to nausea or dizziness! Last, but certainly not least, honey will soothe your sore throat and also is a natural cough suppressant. Pretty cool, right? Oh, and the natural sweetness of honey also balances out the lemon and ginger flavors - making this tea nice and soothing to sip on!
- 2 lemons
- 2 pieces of fresh ginger (about the size of your middle and index finger)
- Honey (I used Makuna honey, but after making it, raw honey may work better as makuna honey is very thick)
- 12 oz mason jar
I found my fresh ginger at Trader Joe's for under $2, which is a pretty awesome price! So, if you have a Trader Joe's near you I would highly recommend shopping for this recipe there.
1. Slice lemons and ginger. Place the slices in the mason jar, alternating layers of the ginger and lemon slices.
2. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to continue to sink down around the layers. Fill to the top of the jar and then seal with the mason jar lid.
3. Put your natural cold remedy in your refrigerator. As time goes by, the mixture will turn into a loose jelly.
That's it! How easy is that? Once you're ready to have some tea you'll just scoop 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture into a mug full of hot water. Make sure you get some slices of lemon and ginger in your mug too. You'll allow it to steep for about 3-4 minutes and then enjoy! Bring on the soothing goodness of your natural cold remedy!
I hope that this tea will come to your rescue if you find yourself with a pesky cold.
Stay healthy, friends!