To be honest, I'm not usually a huge fan of lasagna. It always just seems too heavy and I end up feeling way too full afterwards. So, a few weeks ago when I found myself craving it I knew I didn't want to make the traditional recipe. What I made instead is a lightened up version of lasagna that has amazing flavor and will leave you wanting more! This recipe is easy to make and the perfect dinner to make on a Sunday night to have leftovers throughout the week. Keep on reading to get the recipe!
6 lasagna noodles
1 tbsp EEVO
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 1/2 cups marinara sauce
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
16 oz part skim ricotta cheese
1, 6oz bag of spinach
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a pot, bring several quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente, about 7 or 8 minutes. Remove from the water and place on a towel lined baking sheet (do not use paper towels - the paper will adhere to the noodles).
3. In a large saute pan, add EEVO, onion, and red pepper over medium-high heat. Saute until the onion and pepper begin to sweat. Next, add your ground turkey and garlic.
4. Continue to stir the turkey until it's cooked through, this should take about 10 minutes. Add your marinara sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes. Lastly, add your bag of spinach and allow to cook until wilted. Remove pan from heat.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add ONE cup of the mozzarella cheese and remaining ingredients.
6. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange a layer of noodles on the bottom of the dish and then spread 3/4 of the turkey mixture on top. Next, spread half of the cheese mixture over the turkey mixture. Repeat the layers ending with lasagna noodles - make sure to spread some sauce on top of noodles to ensure they don't burn/dry out in the oven.
7. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. At that time, take the lasagna out of the oven and sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top. Place back into the oven for 20 minutes, uncovered.
Pair a slice of this with a big ol' bowl of greens and you've got yourself a tasty and (pretty) healthy dinner!
Recipe adapted from RootandBlossom.com