Hello there, friends! I hope that your Monday went wonderfully. It's hard to believe it's already December 5th - only twenty days until Christmas! With Christmas right around the corner, we know that we're going to be around loads of cookies and other treats as well. I really wanted to find a healthy cookie recipe that I could make for Christmas so I wouldn't feel like I only had unhealthy options. So, if you'd like to have a healthy treat on your cookie platter at Christmas that's extremely delicious, keep on reading!
These chewy cookies from Amy's Health Baking are the perfect sweet treat for the holiday season. The rich dark chocolate balances out the the tart cranberries, with a dash of cozy cinnamon flavor. These yummy cookies will stay fresh for at least four days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
For this recipe you're going to need:
- 1 cup instant oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped dark chocolate
Once you have all of your ingredients you'll follow these directions:
1. Whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. In a different bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the maple syrup. Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated.
3. Fold in the cranberries and 2 1/2 tablespoons of the chopped dark chocolate. Chill the cookie dough for thirty minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up!
5. Drop the cookie dough into 15 rounded scoops onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten to desired thickness and width using a spatula. Gently press remaining chopped dark chocolate into the tops. Bake for 9-12 minutes.
6. Cool on the pan for ten minutes before moving to a wire rack.
Once the cookies have cooled off, go ahead and dig in! Believe me, you're not going to believe that these cookies are actually healthy :) My family already wants me to make more!
Happy holiday baking!