Hellllo there! I hope that your Wednesday is off to a wonderful start :) I'm stopping by today with another recipe, but this one is for my sweet-tooths out there! For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you probably saw the picture of the sugar cookies I made last week. Guys, this is the ONLY sugar cookie recipe you need in your recipe book. Throw out all of the other ones you have because I have found THE BEST EVER SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE. Am I being dramatic? No, no, I'm not. They're seriously that good.
When it comes to holiday cookies I don't try to toy with the recipe to make them healthier. In my opinion, if I'm going to eat a cookie I'm going to eat the REAL deal. I'm just going to make sure I eat healthily otherwise, we'll say about 90% of the time. You guys know by now that I'm all about balance, and eating a holiday cookie (the real, true kind) or two is within that balanced mindset. Everything in moderation, friends, remember?
Alright, by now you're probably thinking when is she going to stop rambling about her balanced mindset/lifestyle mumbo jumbo and give me this magical recipe????! I hear ya, I won't make you wait any longer :) Here we go! Thanks to Chew Out Loud for this amazing Vanilla Almond Sugar Cookie recipe!
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (two sticks) salted butter, cold & cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheets with parchment paper so you'll have easy clean-up!
- Add your sugar and butter to a mixing bowl. Using a standing mixer or hand mixer, blend the sugar and butter until it's light and fluffy. Then, add in the extracts and egg. Mix to fully incorporate.
- Switch to low speed. Add in the baking powder. Slowly and gradually add in the flour in two batches, mixing just until combined. Make sure to stop and scrape down the sides. Do not over beat.
- The dough will be a bit crumbly. Use your hands to mold the dough until a smooth ball for rolling.
- Roll onto a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes with your holiday cookie cutters. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and stick in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes. This will help the cookies retain their shape while baking.
- Once you take them out of the freezer, immediately stick into the oven and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until they're just getting a bit golden around the edges. You don't want them to go past this point.
- Let the cookies cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack. Make sure you allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating. I used THIS frosting recipe.
One thing in particular that I love about this sugar cookie recipe is that you don't have to chill the dough for an hour. I don't know about you, but when I'm in the mood to make cookies I don't want to wait. I'm impatient, I know :)
Friends, you're seriously missing out if you don't give this cookie recipe a try over the Holiday season. I promise if you bring this to Holiday parties people are going to BEG you for your secret recipe ;P It's also just a fun activity to do as we get closer to the Holidays. Turn on some Holiday music or your favorite Holiday movie, pull out some fun cookie cutters, and get in the Holiday mood!
Feel free to share this recipe with your friends on Facebook, Instagram, email, or however! I hope you guys will enjoy this recipe as much as I do :)
PS: I totally was listening to Christmas music while typing up this post...too soon? #guilty
*Links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you choose to purchase a product through the link, I will get a small kickback. I will never link to a product that I do not support or believe in. I truly appreciate your support!